For the purpose of supporting the development of Confucius Institutes, facilitate Chinese language promotion and Chinese cultural transmission in the world, cultivate qualified Chinese language teachers and talented students of Chinese language, Confucius Institute Headquarters (Hanban) (hereinafter referred to as Hanban) launches the “Confucius Institute Scholarships” program for providing sponsorship to students, scholars and Chinese language teachers of other countries for pursuing a study in relevant universities in China (hereinafter referred to as “host institutions”).
As of 2018, there are 5 types of scholarships available:
- 4-week Chinese language learning scholarships
- One-academic-semester scholarship for students in Chinese Language Learning, Traditional Chinese Medicine, and Taichi.
- One-academic-year scholarship for students in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (TCSOL), Chinese Language Learning, Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History, and Chinese Philosophy.
- Scholarship (up to 4 years) for Students of Bachelor’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (BTCSOL)
- Scholarship (up to 2 years) for Students of Master’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL)
Applicants shall be non-Chinese citizens in good health, aged between 16 and 35 (Chinese language teachers currently working in a Chinese language teaching position shall be aged below 45, and undergraduate student applicants for should be aged below 25).
|Scholarship Type||Eligibility Criteria
|1-Semester||TCSOL, Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History, Chinese Philosophy
Traditional Chinese Medicine, Taichi
|1-Year||Chinese Language Learning
Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History, Chinese Philosophy
4-week Chinese language learning scholarships
This category provides a sponsorship for 4-week study which is mainly focusing on Chinese language. Application is mainly open to Confucius Institute (Classroom) students, excellent performers in HSK test, and outstanding club members of Confucius Institute Magazine. Applicant should submit a HSK score report, and have no prior experience of studying in China (must not have a X1 or X2 visa on your passport).
This category provides a sponsorship for 5 months. Applicant should have no prior experience of studying in China (must not have a X1 or X2 visa on your passport), but have a minimum score of 210 in HSK Test (Level 3), and must take HSKK (Beginner Level) to major in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (TCSOL), Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History, or Chinese Philosophy. Or applicant must take HSK to major in Chinese Medicine or Taichi.
This category provides a sponsorship for 11 months. Application is open to Confucius Institute (Classroom) students, overseas Chinese language teachers, Chinese language major students and excellent performers in HSK test. International students who are now studying in China are not eligible for the scholarship. Applicant should have the following test results to major in the following majors:
- Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (TCSOL)
- a minimum score of 270 in HSK Test (Level 3), and must take HSKK test (Beginner Level)
- Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History, Chinese Philosophy
- a minimum score of 180 in HSK Test (Level 4), and 60 in HSKK test (Intermediate Level)
- Chinese Language Learning
- a minimum score of 180 in HSK Test Level 3
Scholarship for Students of Bachelor’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (BTCSOL)
This category provides a sponsorship for 4 academic years. Applicant should hold a high school diploma or above, a minimum score of 210 in HSK Test (Level 4), and a minimum score of 60 in HSKK Test (Intermediate Level).
Scholarship for Students of Master’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL)
This category provides a sponsorship for 2 academic years. Applicant should own a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent, a minimum score of 210 in HSK Test (Level 5), and a minimum score of 60 in HSKK Test (Intermediate Level). Applicant who is able to provide the employment agreement or certification upon finishing the study from designated working institutions is preferred.
This year, 150 Chinese universities are entrusted as the host institutions of the scholarships which provide various subjects including Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages, Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History, Chinese Philosophy, Traditional Chinese Medicine, Chinese Music, Chinese Dance, etc. For more detailed information of the host institutions, please find the Application Form on the Confucius Institute Scholarships Website (http://cis.chinese.cn).
Admission for students of MTCSOL, BTCSOL, one-Academic-Year Study, and one-Semester Study will have the following deadline:
- April 20th for July 2018 start date.
- June 20th for September 2018 start date.
- September 20th for December 2018 start date.
- December 20th for March 2019 start date.
Four-Week Study courses are available either in July or December 2018. Courses at other time duration can only be arranged on the condition of recruiting 10 students minimum, and applicants from Confucius Institutes (Classrooms) should initiate your application 3 month in advance.
The Confucius Institute Scholarship provides full coverage on tuition fee, accommodation fee, living allowance and comprehensive medical insurance expenses.
Tuition fee is under the overall planning and utilization of host institutions to provide teaching, management, Chinese language proficiency tests (HSK/HSKK), and cultural and social activities for scholarship holders.
Accommodation fee is under the overall planning and utilization of host institutions which should provide scholarship holders with free dormitory rooms (usually double rooms). Those who live off campus with the permission of host institutions are entitled to accommodation allowance from host institutions on by month or by quarter. The allowance criteria are RMB700 per person on monthly basis.
Living allowance is granted by the host institutions on monthly basis. The allowance criteria per person are:
- CNY ￥2,500 per month: BTCSOL, One-Academic-Year Study, One-Semester Study
- CNY ￥3,000 per month: MTCSOL
Enrollment status is based on semesters of host institutions. Students who are enrolled before the 15th (or on the 15th) of the admission month, are entitled to the full allowance of that month. Students, who are enrolled after the 15th of that month, are only entitled to half of the allowance.
The living allowance for the month of graduation will be granted half a month later upon confirming the graduation status by host institutions.
During the study, for any students who is absent from China of personal reasons for more than 15 days (excluding legal holidays), the allowance will be suspended during absence. Allowance will be terminated in case of schooling suspension or dropping out for personal reasons.
Comprehensive medical insurance is purchased by the host institutions in accordance to relevant regulations on international students stipulated by the Ministry of Education of China. The insurance fee per person is RMB￥800 per year.
The degree scholarship program applicants (Category 1, 2, 3) are subject to annual academic performance review. Only those who achieve outstanding records in academic and Chinese language proficiency are entitled to a full scholarship for the following year; those who achieve average academic records are entitled to partial scholarships; the others will not be entitled to scholarship any longer. Partial scholarships consist of tuition fee, accommodation fee and comprehensive medical insurance. The One-Academic-Year Study and One-Semester Study programmers is required to attend Chinese language proficiency test before graduation. Test fee is reimbursed by host institutions.
Scholarship recruitment is open all year round on a trial basis. For applicants, recommending institutions and host institutions, please find admission procedures and scholarship recruitment results on the Confucius Institute Scholarships website (http://cis.chinese.cn).
- For application, please log on to the Confucius Institute Scholarships website (http://cis.chinese.cn) to register, complete the Confucius Institute Scholarships Application Form online, and upload the scanned copies of relevant supporting documents.
- Entrusted by Hanban, Confucius Institutes (independent Confucius Classrooms) in different countries, overseas Chinese language testing centers, educational and cultural sections of Chinese embassy and consulate, and host institutions in China are working as recommending institutions to engage in the applicant selection, materials review, host institutions connection, and collecting and handing over applicants’ documents to host institutions.
- Once application materials are verified by the Division of Scholarships of Hanban as valid, host institutions will then review the eligibility of applicants and submit the admission list to Hanban.
- Hanban will conduct an overall assessment of all applications and admit applicants on the basis of competitive selection. Normally, the admission results will be announced within 45 working days after the application materials are confirmed as valid.
- After confirming with the successful applicants, host institutions are required to post “Letter of Admission”, “Visa Application Form for Foreigners to Study in China” (JW202 Form), copy of the scholarship certificate and other relevant documents to the recommending institutions within 15 working days.
For all applicants:
- A scanned copy of the passport photo page. Applicants under the age of 18 shall submit relevant documents of entrusted legal guardians in China.
- Score reports of the HSK, HSKK (valid for 2 years)
- Recommendation letter signed by the head of the recommending institutions (please provide objective comments on the applicant, including whether the applicant is a student of Confucius Institute or other identity. Chinese language teachers shall submit an employment verification letter and a reference letter provided by the institutes they work for.)
【Additional】For degree scholarship program applicants:
- Certification of the highest education diploma (or proof of expected graduation), and an official transcript.
- Applicants of the Scholarship for MTCSOL Students are required to provide 2 reference letters from professors or associate professors. Those who can provide an employment agreement or related documents with the designated teaching institution are preferred.
Host institutions will contact applicants directly if other materials are required.
- Incomplete or unqualified applications will not be processed.
- Applicants will be disqualified from application in case of fraudulent application materials or application materials are completed and submitted by someone else.
- Scholarship winners who cannot register with the host institutions on time should inform the host institution about the reasons in written form within 15 days before the admission date. For those who do not register as requested without reason, the scholarship will be canceled.
- Scholarship will be canceled for those who do not pass the admission physical examination, drop out, or take schooling suspension during the study.
129 Deshengmenwai Street, Xicheng District, Beijing, China, 100088
Fax: +86-10-58595727 Email: email@example.com