Chinese Language and Culture Camp
“Mandarin Chinese” is one of the fastest growing languages not only in North Carolina K-12 schools but also around the world. Rising 6th through 12th graders will enjoy a Chinese language and culture camp to help them learn about a new culture and get them excited to communicate with a larger world. The Confucius Institute at NC State University has been sharing Chinese language and culture since 2007 and specializes in community programs. We have created an interactive and academic week-long summer camp that your middle school- high school aged students will enjoy. At the end of the camp, we welcome families to come to the final performance to see what students have learned. This camp’s intention is to get your child excited about a new culture or help them continue their interest in Chinese. While it is difficult to learn Chinese in one week, this camp will provide a taste of Chinese language and culture with Chinese words incorporated into all sessions of the camp.
- Option 1: Monday June 18 – Friday June 22, 2018
- Option 2: Monday June 25 – Friday June 29, 2018
- Drop Off: 8:30am – 9:00am
- Camp: 9:00am – 4:30pm
- Pick Up: 4:30pm – 5:00pm
- Late pick up fee will be charged after 5:00pm at the rate of $1.00 per every minute late.
- Rising 6th to 12th grade students.
- Students that are eager to learn Chinese language and culture.
- Family Discount: $30 off
- If multiple siblings (2+) in one family register for same week of Summer Camp, we will offer one $30 discount.
- Example: 2 siblings can attend one week of camp for $570 instead of $600.
- 2-Week Discount: $570
- It participant registers for Week 1 and Week 2 of Summer Camp, we will offer one $30 discount.
Chinese Language Class
This Chinese Language and Culture summer camp will have two levels of Mandarin Chinese language classes (simplified Chinese). The two classes are taught by professional Chinese language teachers and each level will accept a maximum of 20 students (40 students each week). This camp is to provide a “taste” of Chinese language and culture so that language and culture are learned and experienced simultaneously.
Chinese Culture Classes
The best way to learn a language is to also learn and experience culture at the same time. Each day, the students will be exposed to different aspects of Chinese culture including art and physical activity each day. We will have two field trips.
- Chinese Calligraphy
- Chinese Brush Painting
- Traditional Chinese Paper-Cutting
- Chinese Knotting & Crafts
- Grand Asia Market: buy Chinese food and groceries.
- JC Raulston Arboretum: see garden and enjoy practicing Taichi in the Garden
Transportation will be provided by NC State Fleet Services and certified driver.
With camp fees, students will have lunch at the NC State cafeteria and will have some Chinese snacks. One day we will take a field trip to the Grand Asia Market for students to see an Asian Grocery Store and students will be able to purchase their own lunch (students will need $10- $15 to buy a boxed lunch). If students have dietary needs that can be expressed on the online registration.
|9:00~10:30am||Chinese Language Class||Chinese Language Class||Chinese Language Class||Chinese Language Class||Chinese Language Class|
|10:45am~12:15pm||Chinese Knotting & Crafts||Chinese Knotting & Crafts||Field Trip to JC Arboretum & Practice Taichi in Gardens||Chinese Knotting & Crafts||Taichi Rehearsal|
|12:15~1:15pm||Lunch @ NCSU Dining Hall||Lunch @ NCSU Dining Hall||Lunch @ NCSU Dining Hall||Lunch & Field Trip to Grand Asia Market||Lunch @ NCSU Dining Hall|
|1:15~2:25pm||Chinese Calligraphy||Chinese Brush Painting||Chinese Paper-Cutting||Chinese Calligraphy||Chinese Calligraphy Contest|
|2:40~3:50pm||Chinese Paper-Cutting||Chinese Calligraphy||Chinese Calligraphy||Chinese Brush Painting||End of Program Performance|
|3:50~4:00pm||Short Break & Clean Brush and Desk|
|4:00~4:30pm||Review Chinese Language Learning|
- Please complete an online camp registration form at https://goo.gl/forms/TgWEX5kBrKVRAhxU2
- Students and guardians will be asked to sign a waiver for the camp which must be received to our office before the start of camp.
- Payment of $300 is due by Friday, May 4th, 2018.
- In order to offer the camp, we have a minimum number of 10 students per level requirement.
- Full payment of $300 is due by Friday, May 4th, 2018.
- Payment can be in the form of cash, check, or credit card.
- Cash or Check ($300)
- Checks payable to Confucius Institute at NC State University.
- You may drop off your tuition during our office during normal hours. Or mail us your payment to
Attn: Summer Camp
Confucius Institute at NCSU
1101 Gorman Street, Ste. 210
Raleigh, NC 27695-7401
- Credit Card ($305 + $19.06 processing fee = $324.06)
- Pay via Eventbrite
- Cash or Check ($300)
- Completed payment and registrations will be processed on a first come, first served basis until the sites reach capacity.
- Refunds will be handled on an individual case basis.
- Unfortunately, no scholarships are available.
- If the camp is cancelled, tuition will be refunded in full.